EMS brought a 24-year-old man due to camel bite happened while feeding the camel in the early morning. The injury was basically on the right arm and forearm. No other injuries, vitally stable.
Students should know the following while taking care of these patients.
- Systematic evaluation of the patient – remember ATLS, primary and secondary survey.
- Focused neurologic and vascular examination.
- Exposing the wound and ordering an x-ray
- Wound cleaning and management
- Be aware of fracture – Open Fracture!
- Antibiotic coverage and tetanus toxoid/IG
- For open fractures – Look for Gustilo-Anderson Classification and choose appropriate antibiotics.
- Do not forget – pain medication.
Cite this article as: iEM Education Project Team, "iEM Image Feed: Camel Bite," in International Emergency Medicine Education Project, February 10, 2021, https://iem-student.org/2021/02/10/camel-bite/, date accessed: June 1, 2023